09 December 2008

Danica McKellar, my mother, and Cuban food

In honor of my age now being a square, my parents took me out to dinner. (Okay, so it had nothing to do with my age being a square.)

My mother: "I read in the US Air in-flight magazine that... um... that girl from Boy Meets World is writing books about math now."

Me: "You mean the girl from The Wonder Years??"

Yes, this actually happened. The two shows are not all that different, and the male leads in them are brothers in real life and look similar, so it's a natural mistake to make.

Danica McKellar majored in math at UCLA (where Terence Tao was one of her teachers, and has written two books aimed at middle school girls to tell them that math doesn't suck, namely Math Doesn't Suck: How to Survive Middle School Math Without Losing Your Mind or Breaking a Nail and Kiss My Math: Showing Pre-Algebra Who's Boss

By the way, if you're in Philadelphia and want "modern Cuban cuisine", Alma de Cuba has it. I especially recommend that you go to this restaurant if someone else is paying.

1 comment:

Suresh Venkatasubramanian said...

personally, I used to prefer Cuba Libre..