13 March 2009

Three songs about circles

WXPN is a radio station of the University of Pennsylvania. This statement is a bit ambiguous; they're not a "college radio station", in that they're not student-run, but rather a professionally-run, public (i. e. non-commercial, and every so often they come on the air and beg for money) radio station. WQHS is the student radio station. I've been working from home this week, since it's our Spring Break, so I've been listening a lot.

Every weekday morning at nine they have a "select-a-set": listeners call or e-mail and suggest three songs, which are perhaps somehow related. Somebody suggested the following three songs today, which got played:

Sarah McLachlan, Circle
Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, Circle
Joni Mitchell, Circle Games

Why? (Hint: the select-a-set feature does not exist on Saturdays.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Pi Day!

(though I prefer June 22; it doesn't make sense to use decimal...)

Anonymous said...

Ugh, off by one. That's what I get for being a smartass.

Anonymous said...

It's that damn time again...

And where were you on Wednesday? :P

Jonah said...

I don't get it. Why would someone pick Sarah McLachlan over Soul Coughing?

Veky said...

_lf, using Gregorian calendar makes even less sense to me. ;-P

Unknown said...

I know that this is off topic but I am host of a mathematics podcast
Combinations
and Permutations
that I think that your readership may find
interesting. On the last episode we have covered the four color theorem and some new ideas for mathematical journals. You can find the podcast on iTunes or through our host. Give us a listen, you
will not be disappointed